Contact

 

Investors

Vaxdyn is based on Seville, Spain. It was founded in 2011 as a spin-off of the University Hospital Virgen del Rocío of Seville, an international reference in the fight against nosocomial infections.

After completing VXD-001 candidate selection, master cell bank characterization, and non-regulatory preclinical phase, Vaxdyn is looking for capital in order to complete regulatory preclinical phase, GMP-manufacturing, and Phase I clinical phase, which will be carried out in the company’s matrix hospital in Spain.

Vaxdyn´s capital is 100% private. The shareholders are Dr. Michael McConnell (USA), Dr. Pilar Perez (Spain), and Dr. Jerónimo Pachón (Spain). Vaxdyn’s structure is optimized in order to develop the pharmaceutical dossier of the products by incorporating experts in business management, regulatory management, and project management. All research activities are based on the relationship with the Institute of Biomedicine of Seville (IBiS) and its associated University Hospital Virgen del Rocío of Seville, parental organizations of Vaxdyn.

Vaxdyn is seeking a total of 2.8 million EUR from private partners in order to complete clinical Phase I of VXD-001 in 4 years.

Vaxdyn has the confirmed interest of several major pharmaceutical laboratories of incorporating VXD-001 into their product pipelines provided that the product completes successfully clinical Phase I. Therefore, in the current business model, the return of investment will be based on licensing-out VXD-001 to a major pharmaceutical laboratory, obtaining up-front payments by milestones (at signing, and at completion of Phase II, Phase III, and registration) and one-digit royalties based on sales once the product reaches the market.

If registered only in the EU and the USA, the licensing-deal could give to Vaxdyn 161 million EUR in milestones payments in the period 2020-2025 and sales-based royalties worth 860 million EUR in 2026-2035. Deals for distribution of the vaccine to the US Army (interested) or distribution in emergent countries could increase the expected market of VXD-001.

Investment structure. Negotiation and contacts made up to date fit with a syndicate investment structure of 3-4 partners with an average investment in the range of 300,000-800,000 EUR.

In one preferred syndicate investment model, 60% of the total investment could be supported by a Spanish fund managed by a public institution, which needs a private counterpart covering the remaining 40%.

In another preferred syndicate investment, 50% might the covered by the VC arm of a Spanish private international bank.

Milestones. The results obtained in preclinical research of VXD-001 have provided outstanding evidence of the efficacy of the vaccine candidate in protecting model animals from infection caused by Acinetobacter baumannii strains of all international clones, including clinical isolates multi-resistant to all available classes of antibiotics. In addition, the total elimination of the endotoxin component anticipates a safety profile, already observed in murine models, which will complement the product’s efficacy and decrease the risk of not meeting the objectives expected for licensing-out VXD-001 to a major pharmaceutical company.

The intermediate milestone will be the application for Investigational New Drud (IND) permission to the European Medicines Agency after completion of the whole preclinical package, including the regulatory preclinical phase and final galenic formulation. The investment sought in order to meet this objective in June 2018 is 1.3 million EUR.

The IND approval will permit VXD-001 to transition to the clinical Phase I in human volunteers. Clinical research will be conducted at the Clinical Phase I Unit of the University Hospital Virgen del Rocío of Seville, Spain, between June 2018 and June 2019. The preparation of the final GMP-compliant batches of VXD-001 and clinical Phase I would require the remaining investment of 1.5 million EUR.

Several multinational pharmaceutical companies have confirmed interest in licensing-in the Acinetobacter baumannii vaccine candidate after a successful Phase I is completed. International pharmaceuticals companies of the top-10 in global sales have already incorporated vaccine candidates against multi-drug resistant bacteria in their product pipelines. Merck, Pfizer, and Novartis are developing a vaccine against Staphylococcus aureus; while Astellas Pharma, GSK, and Sanofi-Pasteur are developing a vaccine candidate against Pseudomonas aeruginosa.

For more information please contact Dr. Juan J. Infante (Vaxdyn CEO) at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.